We expect to receive over 750 guests at our event, and we need over 300 volunteers to make sure things run smoothly. If you are passionate about being part of the solution to end homelessness in Toronto, volunteering at Homeless Connect Toronto is a great way to get involved.
What to expect as an HCT Volunteer:
- We kindly ask that you dedicate either your morning (9:30AM to 1:30PM) or full-day (9:30AM to 4:30PM) to the event
- Be prepared to be on your feet for the majority of the day; if you cannot be on your feet all day or have issues with mobility, we'd still love your help, but make sure you let us know on your volunteer registration form so we assign you to an appropriate role.
- Any NEW volunteers to the event are asked to attend a mandatory half-day orientation session so the HCT event can operate at a high standard during your shift. Training will take place in the Alumni Lounge (4th floor) at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Saturday, October 21st, 2017 from 10AM-12PM or 1PM-3PM. The sessions will prepare volunteers with information and training for the event along with volunteer packages and t-shirts.
- We will serve you a hot lunch as long as the food is available (we try to prioritize our guests!). However, it is never a bad idea to carry a granola bar in your pocket in case the day gets too busy!
- Set-up/tear-down volunteer positions will require heavy lifting as we will be setting up all booths, equipment and materials for the services and event.
The types of event volunteers we need are:
Greeters welcome each guest to the event, starting at the front door. You will help manage the crowd outside the event space, ensure orderly conduct within our line-up, answer any questions and offer additional support. You're the first person they meet at the event, so be prepared to say hello with a smile and provide a warm welcome.
Registration assist guests in filling out registration forms and help guests to identify the services that they would like to access at the event. You will help them figure out what's available to them and how they should prioritize their day.
Guides accompany our guests from registration to the services. You will also answer questions and assist guests with locating the services throughout the day. This is our attempt at providing as much of a one-on-one experience to our guests. Be prepared to be on your feet all day, walking (sometimes running) around!
Gophers provides extra support to services and/or relieve other volunteers so they will receive adequate breaks. You will assist at different stations throughout the day. Ready to take on any job? This is the perfect role for you!
Data helps enter information from registration and exit surveys throughout the event day. You will be required to bring a laptop to the event.
Set-up/tear-down assists with set-up on the day of the event (before 9AM) and tear-down at the end of the event (after 4PM). We also require additional support in setting up the evening before the event. If you are able to assist, kindly indicate so on your volunteer registration form.